Suitable for: Years 1 to 8
Learning areas: Social sciences (including history), English
Duration: 2 hours
Available: All year
Founding documents: Te Tiriti o Waitangi — Treaty of Waitangi, He Whakaputanga — Declaration of Independence
He Tohu themes: The documents, people, living together, our future
What ākonga will learn
Ākonga (students) will learn about:
- the history of voyaging and settlement in Aotearoa New Zealand, from the Polynesians through to modern times
- how our special and unique environment has shaped who we are, from first settlement to today
- how our founding documents have shaped our identity and provide a legacy that can guide us into the future.
What ākonga will do
- Identify different vessels that are part of our settlement stories.
- Locate 'places of origin' or 'Hawaiiki'.
- Reflect on our diverse stories and the people involved.
- Compose pepeha.
Book this programme or find out more
Book this programme
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org