Explore the causes, effects, and consequences of the New Zealand Wars | Ngā Pakanga o Aotearoa. With this history, how do we continue our journey together as a multicultural society with bicultural foundations?
Suitable for: Years 5 to 13
Learning areas: Social sciences (including history), English
Duration: 2 hours
Available: All year
Founding documents: He Whakaputanga — Declaration of Independence, Te Tiriti o Waitangi — Treaty of Waitangi
He Tohu themes: The documents, people, living together, our future
What ākonga will learn
Ākonga (students) will learn about the:
- 'what, when, and where' of Ngā Pakanga o Aotearoa and their effects
- roles, motivations, and world views of the key figures in the conflicts
- journey of our developing relationships in Aotearoa New Zealand and our responsibilities to Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
What ākonga will do
Use critical thinking to:
- grow their understanding of the conditions that allow conflict to develop in societies
- explore strategies to avoid or resolve conflicts.
Collaborate with others to: