Delving deeper into picture books: Primary schools — Wellington
- Date: Friday, 31 August, 2018
9:00am to 3:00pm
Programme Room, National Library of New Zealand, Corner of Aitken and Molesworth Streets, Thorndon, Wellington
- Contact Details:
Katrina Young-Drew — email@example.com
Dates, fees, and registration
|Date and time||Friday 31 August, 9am to 3pm|
|Registrations close||5pm Friday 24 August|
Who this learning event is for
- Primary and intermediate school library staff.
- Primary and intermediate teachers wanting to extend their classroom practice around using literature for learning and engagement.
- Literacy leaders and specialists.
- Primary and intermediate school leaders who are interested in developing their school’s reading culture.
Why attend this event?
- Familiarise yourself with a range of new and classic, quality picture book titles.
- Strengthen your knowledge of picture book language and visual literacy.
- Learn how picture books can engage, delight, and grow readers.
- Understand the importance of picture books as powerful teaching, learning, and inquiry tools in the classroom and library.
- Improve your professional practice, subject knowledge, and strategies around picture books for teaching and learning.
What you'll learn
Learn how to use picture books to:
- engage readers and encourage reading for pleasure
- inspire and inform inquiry
- provoke critical thinking
- encourage creativity
- develop visual literacy.
Improve your collection development skills, including:
- how to develop picture book selection criteria relevant to your school
- strategies to create an exciting and engaging picture book collection for your students.
What you'll do
- Explore and use a range of quality picture books and resources.
- Share ideas and practice with other course participants.
- Join an in-depth investigation of the elements of picture books using a literature-focused thinking and planning tool for educators.
- Reflect on your learning and identify strategies and resources to create a plan to action in your school.
What's provided, what to bring
Morning tea and lunch are provided.
Please bring your own device and a favourite or significant picture book.
Register or find out more
Registrations closed 5pm 24 August.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org