The Guardians Kaitiaki of the Alexander Turnbull Library advise the Minister Responsible for the National Library on key matters relating to the operation of the Turnbull Library.
The Guardians Kaitiaki role
National Library of New Zealand (Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa) Act 2003 requires the Guardians Kaitiaki to provide assurance to the people of New Zealand that:
- the collections of the Alexander Turnbull Library are held in perpetuity
- that they are provided with suitable and separate accommodation
- that they are preserved, protected, developed and made accessible for all the people of New Zealand in a manner consistent with their status as documentary heritage and taonga
- that the character of the services distinguishing the Alexander Turnbull Library as a research library are maintained.
The Guardians Kaitiaki also give advice on all matters relating to the collections and services of the Alexander Turnbull Library to the Minister Responsible for the National Library.
Members are appointed to the Guardians Kaitiaki for a range of skills relating to mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge), libraries, access and preservation issues, and historical research.
The Guardians Kaitiaki membership
- Lyn Provost (Chair, term expires September 2021)
- Dr Sydney Shep (term expires September 2021)
- Dr Jock Phillips (term expires September 2021)
- Victoria Passau (term expires November 2022)
- Paul Meredith (term expires November 2021)
The Annual Report is provided in accordance with Section 19(3)(a) and (b) of the National Library of New Zealand Act 2003.
For more information
Email email@example.com for more information.