- 27 April 1984 - 27 Apr 1984
- Meek, Leslie Lockhart, 1918-1999
Leslie Lockhart Meek born Wellington 1918. Outlines family background - mother a tailoress in Te Aro House, later James Smiths. Recalls polio epidemic (1930's) and refers to father's Condes Crystals gargle preventative treatment. Refers to Bells' Palsy suffered in infancy. Describes years at Wellington College (1931-1935), recalling L B Quartermain (Head of English), Tibby Brodie, Gary Lomus (father of bowling champion, Jack Lomus), Doug McKay (maths), and Martin (Martini) Smith. Describes first job with Picot Brothers (later became Internal Marketing Board).
Talks about joining Customs, Wellington as a cadet in 1936. Refers to Bill Waugh who was in charge of sales tax, J E Stokes, Buster Crawford and Sandy Paul. Describes in detail Custom House, Wellington. Explains role of Preventive Officers, the `gatekeepers' and searchers. Mentions Sales Tax (1936) and Import Licensing (1938). Refers to Public Service Association, giving advantages of joining. Discusses World War II, and involvement in military action on Mono Island against the Japanese. Mentions Lieutenant Galloway, later headmaster at Palmerston North Boys High School, and his brave action. Describes feelings about the War. Reflects on career in Customs post-War. Discusses period as Administration Officer, describing responsibilities and recalls becoming member of the multi-departmental New Zealand National Air Facilitation Committee. Discusses EFTA (European Free Trade Association) and the EEC (European Economic Community). Refers to Peter Johnsen, Jim Lockwood and Ken Press. Recalls being chief censor at time of introduction of new Indecent Publications Act (1963) and involvement with film censorship.
Access Contact - see oral history librarian
Interviewer(s) - Judith Fyfe
Arrangement: Tape numbers - OHC-000491-000493; OHLC-000213-000215
Quantity: 3 C60 cassette(s). 1 printed abstract(s). 3 Hours Duration.
Finding Aids: Abstract Available - abstracting complete OHA-0098.
3 b&w photographs: (i) Lesley Lockhart Meek (L) and Australian Official at Pacific Region Conference of National Air Facilitation Committee held in Bangkok ca 1971; (ii) Lesley Lockhart Meek (far r) with Austalian and Siamese delegates at Pacific Region Conference of National Air Facilitation Committees, Bangkok, ca 1971 and (iii) Les and Margaret Meek (mid 1940s).
Search dates: 1918 - 1984
- Additional description
Alternative form available: Listening copies available OHLC-000213 - OHLC-000215
- No public use without written permission of donor Copyright: Copyright held by New Zealand Customs Department
- Access restrictions
- Restricted - Content cannot be accessed without permission - Access requires written permission of the donor
- 3 C60 cassette(s), 1 printed abstract(s), 3 Hours Duration, Oral histories, Illustration: 3 b&w photographs: (i) Lesley Lockhart Meek (L) and Australian Official at Pacific Region Conference of National Air Facilitation Committee held in Bangkok ca 1971; (ii) Lesley Lockhart Meek (far r) with Austalian and Siamese delegates at Pacific Region Conference of National Air Facilitation Committees, Bangkok, ca 1971 and (iii) Les and Margaret Meek (mid 1940s).
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.