- S P Andrew Ltd; Andrew, Stanley Polkinghorne, 1878-1964; Andrew, Earle William, 1909-1986
Portrait photographs taken by the studio of S P Andrew and its predecessor, Bartlett & Andrew, in Wellington ca 1908-1920s. The collection includes a small number of Wellington buildings and cityscapes. The photographs are mostly the work of Stanley Polkinghorne Andrew (1879?-1964) and his son Earle William Andrew (fl 1938-1970).
The half plate negatives are all dated 1921. The collection when acquired comprised several images taken at each sitting. Only one photograph from each sitting was retained, the rest were destroyed
Arrangement: Negatives catalogued at 1/4-19918 to 20317, 1/4-21250 to 21254, 1/4-021044 to 021045, 1/4-104056 to 1/4-104086, 1/2-035530 to 035946, 1/2-043281 to 044022, 1/2-189526 to 189765, 1/1-13376 to 15349, 1/1-18136 to 19074, 10/8-1269 to 1329. Prints held at PAColl-3739-1.
The studio of S P Andrew Ltd was established at 10 Willis Street, Wellington, in 1923, by Stanley Polkinghorne Andrew (1879?-1964). The premises were originally occupied by William Henry Bartlett, and the studio previously operated as Bartlett & Andrew. His son, Earle Andrew, joined him in the business ca 1938, and they ran the studio together until ca 1958, when Earle Andrew became sole proprietor. Ian Hulse took over the business ca 1971 and continued to operate as S P Andrew Ltd until 1974. (Sources: NZ Post Office directories; Wellington telephone books).
Quantity: 4545 b&w original negative(s).
Processing information: Archivists notes - Originally arranged and described in 1994. Reference number changed from PAColl-3739 to PA-Group-00572 in 2010.
- Additional description
Alternative form available: File prints were made for all the negatives in this collection.
- Access restrictions
- No access restrictions
- 4545 b&w original negative(s), Negatives, Film negatives, Portraits
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.