Open the book: Literature at the heart of literacy — Auckland
- Date: Friday, 1 September, 2017
9:15am to 3:15pm
National Library — Auckland Centre, 8 Stanley St, Parnell, Auckland
- Contact Details:
Jo Buchan — email@example.com
Dates and registration
|Date and time||Friday 1 September, 9:15am to 3:15pm|
|Registrations close||Monday 28 August|
This learning event is for
- School leaders who are interested in developing their school’s reading culture
- Teachers who are keen to extend their classroom practice around using literature for learning and engagement
- School library staff who want to strengthen library/classroom connections
- Literacy specialists and literacy lead teachers in schools
- Teacher classroom practice
- School-wide reading culture
- Library/classroom connections and collaborations
What you'll learn
This seminar is about ways teachers make literature come alive, for every single child. It is about harnessing the power of children’s and YA books to engage students with learning, give them language and ideas to explore and enlarge their world, and experience stories that will stay with them through their lifetime.
We have to be committed, ingenious, flexible and experimental in coming up with ways of making literature come alive for every single child — no exceptions allowed.
— Michael Rosen, author, poet, literacy advocate and UK Children’s Laureate (2007–2009)
During the day we will explore:
- why reading for pleasure is so important and how, as a reading role model, you can communicate that joy to your students
- how to extend your knowledge and understanding of children’s / YA books and ways to fully realise their potential in your classroom, across the curriculum
- strategies to enrich the reading culture in your classroom and use children’s literature to extend students’ oral language and inspire their writing
- strategies to increase their understanding of the world and the complexities of the human experience through developing imagination and empathy.
Morning tea and lunch are provided.
Register or find out more
Register for this seminar — space is limited so book your spot now.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.