Copyright and privacy
The National Library welcomes visitors from New Zealand and around the world to use its websites. Feel free to access and link to pages and collection items here as you please.
Some content on this site was produced by third parties. The Library provides a platform for this content, but does not own or necessarily endorse it.
We link to the websites of other agencies and organisations. The Library is not responsible for the content of those sites – they are. However, we will try to make sure our links are always going to the right place.
The Library accepts no liability or responsibility for the manner in which the information on this website is interpreted or used, or the results of such use.
Aside from collection items, which have their own various levels of copyright and usage restrictions, copyright on all content available on this site is owned by the Crown.
This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand licence.
Please note that this licence does not apply to any logos, emblems and trade marks on the website or to the website's design elements.
You may reproduce this Crown copyright material free of charge without further permission, as long as you:
- reproduce it accurately
- do not use it in a derogatory or misleading way, and
- acknowledge the source and copyright status.
Before you use content created by third parties, including collection items, comments, and material from the National Union Catalogue, you need to:
- check its copyright status
- obtain permission from the rights holder
- determine and meet any other requirements.
When you use certain functions of this site we will ask for your personal information. We will safeguard your personal information (information that identifies you as a natural person) and respect your rights under the Privacy Act 1993.
If you send us personal information (for example, your email address when asking a research question), we will only use this personal information for the purpose for which it was provided. We will keep any personal information you provide to us secure and will not disclose it to any other parties without your prior consent.
Contact us if you have any questions or concerns personal information we hold.
As well as this, we gather statistical information on visitation to help us improve this site and our services. This information is aggregated and non-personally identifying. It includes:
- your IP address
- the search terms you used
- the pages you accessed on our site and the links you clicked on
- the date and time you visited the site
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OSX)
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox), and
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution, the release of your installed Flash version and the language setting of your browser.
If you would like any further information on privacy or the information that we collect, please contact us.
This site generates session cookies for the purpose of monitoring site usage so we can understand how to improve the service. Cookies are also used to temporarily save your favourites. The cookies do not collect personal information. You can disable them or clear them out of the web browser you are using to view this site without affecting your ability to use the site.